Friday, September 19, 2008

Madden 09

Ok so first off, I am not a "sports gamer". I very rarely will play ANY contact sport game on any system. It's not that i don't understand them (except Hockey), it's more that i just don't like the level of SIM that goes into playing the games themselves. Like Baseball games (yes i realize it's not a contact sport) on most systems are way more complicated that i want them to be. I liked RBI Baseball on my NES. Get up to bat, hit the "A" button to swing... and that was pretty much it. 

So imagine my surprise when i discovered that when i played the latest iteration of EA's Madden series, that i really liked it. The game can be as simple as i want it to be. Pick a play let it run out on screen. If you're on defense you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. If you're on offense you just hike and pass to an open man and run. Or this game can be as complicated as you want. Pick formations, call audibles, change pass or rush coverage... it can get really complicated. 

Not to mention that you can go through "SuperStar" mode and make a player and nurse him through the process of being drafted for a team, making the cut, and actually playing in games. Franchise mode that lets you manage the team swap players, make play changes... way complicated for my liking.

That being said i really enjoy this game. I have been playing with a group of guys recently, and was able to take part in their Madden League. Playing online games against another human that doesn't swear at you, call your mom out, or act like you are the gayest man at the gay pride parade, is nice. I can't say that i am destroying people in the league but at least i am holding my own. . . Anyway

From the graphics to the sound (except that ass Chris Collinsworth, ugh!) the presentation of the game itself, and the addition of the self adjusting game play, this game is tight. I don't mean that in a slag way of saying "It's tight Yo!", no i mean this game is actually very tightly produced. Everything feels correct. Nothing feels out of place or over done (again except Chris). 

I would give this one probably an A- or 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: